#BYOD4L Day One: Busy, busy, busy...


BYOD4L Day One: Busy, busy, busy...


January 2016  and its very busy at the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine. Not only are we excited to be part of the #BYOD4L experience once again but we have new students starting and ready to be introduced to Brightspace later. The QAA  are visiting us to see how we are progressing with our bid to award our own degrees (DAPs) and we have other staff training going on as well. Whew!  A combination of these factors might account for the relatively low attendees to the our Making the most of your Mobile device event. 
However, those turned up stayed and chatted for a while as they were treated to a veritable smorgasbord of mobile and other technologies. We had a range of stall set up covering technologies such as Panopto mobile recording, device mirroring using Apple TV/Chromecast, LSTM Serious Gaming initiative and a raspberry pi tuned in to display any tweet that included #BYOD4L (Thanks to @willmoindrot) Periscope peaked peoples interest in the room and we even broadcast a little of our session live online.  We had some 20 live viewers and replays of the video. This was not the best use of the technology but I think  it did allow people to understand it as well sharing a flavour of what was happening here in Liverpool.




I’m facilitating first chat of the week alongside the wonderful @neilwithnell. With help from @sheilmc and @chrissinerantzi in the background. I get the kids to bed just in time for it to start. I’ve got myself set up with laptop, iPad and Mobile phone. Possibly too much tech!The team communicate in the background using a group twitter direct message and this has worked well over the past few days. Everyone has been incredibly positive and enthusiastic and this boys me up in my tired state. As I try to reflect I’m struggling as the whole hour flew past in a blur. There were a thousand tweets and I believe we were trending at one point!  If I’m honest I don’t feel I contributed as much as I could have due to having one eye on the questions and main BYOD4L account. That said they key elements that make the course worthwhile came through clearly: Lots of new colleagues to connect with, a range of different attitudes and approaches to using mobile technologies in teaching, but most of all a healthy critical approach as to what it was they wanted get out of using the tech and the sharing the best ways of doing that. Not bad for a first night. Roll on Tuesday!

Comments